Our Mission & Vision
At PS 96, our staff, parents, and the community are dedicated to providing the academic, personal, and social growth of all students through diverse learning experiences where our students achieve academic success and are personally motivated by our core values, having respect, owning our choices, we are safe and leading with kindness.
At PS 96, we develop responsible and productive scholars who possess critical thinking and academic skills, which is delivered by dedicated, motivated educators in a safe and nurturing environment that is supported by families for the betterment of the community.
- We believe every scholar has the ability to achieve academic and social success by providing a child-centered learning environment.
- We commit ourselves in providing scholars with the resources they need to become independent, accountable and self-motivated learners.
- We believe in providing our scholars with rigorous instruction aligned to the Next Generation Learning Standards.
- We collaborate and foster leadership opportunities in order to enhance pedagogical skills, which lead to improving student outcomes.
- We believe by creating a strong school and home relationship each scholar can meet their full potential.
- We believe children learn best when their social-emotional needs are nurtured through our core values of having respect, owning our choices, we are safe and leading with kindness.
If teachers participate in consistent data analysis in order to inform their instruction and use that data to purposely plan engaging, differentiated lessons for all learners, then student engagement and understanding of content will increase leading to greater proficiency in all subject areas at P.S. 96.
Howl with Pride
We are the Wolves!
At PS 96 The HOWL Committee is dedicated to instilling our school's core values.
H - Have Respect
O - Own Our Choices
W - We Are Safe
L - Lead With Kindness
The team works on behavioral incentives and interventions as well as events to celebrate student growth and success. Positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS) is a way for schools to encourage good behavior. With PBIS, schools teach kids about behavior, just as they would teach about other subjects like reading or math. The focus of PBIS is prevention, not punishment.
- Neighborhood Initiative Development Corp.: NIDC offers families in the PS 96 Community after-school childcare and enrichment. Students who participate in the NIDC program participate in activities, perform in seasonal shows and special events, and are given time each afternoon to complete homework.
- 21st Century Leadership Program: The 21st Century Leadership Program offers before, during, and after-school programs for students at PS 96. Students who are selected to participate in the Leadership Program participate in tutoring, chess, dance, or drumming programs.
- Stella Adler Drama: Stella Adler has partnered with our art teacher, Ms. Warren, to bring drama classes to select classes in Kindergarten through Fourth grades.
- Food Bank NYC - CookShop Program: With hands-on workshops reaching over 50,000 New Yorkers annually across all five boroughs, CookShop teaches nutrition and physical activity information, as well as cooking skills, fostering enthusiasm for fresh, affordable
fruits, vegetables and other whole foods.